Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#123846 - 31/10/2002 10:59 "Marked" track suggestion
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
I think it's great that the player is able to mark a track for later attention, but I find that when I get to checking the tracks I often forget why I marked them to start with. I think that within Emplode, you should be able to setup a short list of descriptions or "reason codes" that would later allow you to determine why a track was marked, ie:

Code Meaning
A - Bad mp3
B - Eliminate leading silence
C - Include in xxx playlist
D - Assign PIN#
E - Normalize volume
F - etc, etc, etc...

Anyway, each of us would have our own pre-sets depending on how we use our players and how we listen to our music. Then when a track was "marked", immediately after marking the track the player would prompt you to choose from your list of reason codes. When you review the player in Emplode the next time, you would be able to perform whatever maintenance you intended to do easily. I use the mark track option often to mark tracks to be included into a certain playlist or to mark tracks that have issues. All of you may have your own reasons for marking tracks, but no matter what, if you're not connecting to your player almost daily with Emplode (and sometimes even if you do), you have a strong chance of forgetting why the tracks are marked in the first place.

If this is something a bunch of us could use, I'll post it in the wish list.

#123847 - 31/10/2002 11:25 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: bodybag]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I think that this would be very useful, and it's been mentioned before. It would also be nice if it could somehow record the time into the track when you marked it, so that you could double-check a pop or squeak at home.

#123848 - 31/10/2002 15:15 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: bodybag]
visuvius
addict

I would freakin' love this feature. I mark tracks all the time but soon forget why i marked them.

#123849 - 01/11/2002 06:47 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: visuvius]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
When you mark a track, does it show that it is marked on the empeg when you play the song again?

#123850 - 01/11/2002 07:21 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: JeepBastard]
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Yes, in the info mode there will be an exclamation mark beside it beside the time elapsed/remaining.

#123851 - 01/11/2002 18:47 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: jets]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can also hold down the info button to look at the details and it will tell you if it is marked or not.

#123852 - 03/11/2002 16:21 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: bodybag]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Right now I'm trying to tidy up my player and this would have helped me immensely had the feature been available.
Although I am fairly diligent with my tagging, I have a number of tracks that bug me whenever I play them because of a problem with the IDx tag of some sort or another (but mostly bad capitalisation). Plus of course, with the tracks I've marked as bad, I now have to work out why they were marked and so on, the timestamp feature mentioned in this thread would have been helpful too.

#123853 - 03/11/2002 19:45 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: bodybag]
sphengali
journeyman

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Low Tech (sorta!) solution:

I agree, it would be very cool to have advanced 'marking' features as a reminder for why you marked a song: However.. I do think it would be pretty challenging (and dangerous) to mark the song quickly and concisely whilst driving i.e. having to look at the remote for the sequence of buttons to press to mark a song 're-rip', 'normalize' 'leading silence', etc - better to try and minimize the remote use while driving, if possible.. especially in the early stages of empeg usage, which is when an mp3 collection is really tested and found to contain issues - and when you're fumbling with the options even when parked! (speaking of myself, of course)

Solution:

Goto Radio Shack, and get yourself a digital mini-recorder.. I have it my door-pouch. A song comes on that needs attention, I reach over - grab it - and press one button.. record the issue - Done.

The bonus to this is that I can then use that recorded info at my computer, and clean the files there - and THEN resync with the Rio. Makes it easier, faster, and much more detailed to leave youself a voice message, than trying to 'pigeon hole' each error into predefined categories.. sometimes bad rips transend categories.... IMHO, as always....
60 Gig MkIIa #040103892 My Rio Install

#123854 - 04/11/2002 06:34 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: sphengali]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
YES. My cell phone actually has a voice recorder built-in.
I usually mark a track from the remotre then leave myself a detailed note on my cell.
However,
"Marked" currently has 2 values. "yes" and "no"
I propose that the "marked" feature loop through several tags.
so insted of the "Marked" button just toggling through "yes" and "no"
it would cycle through a bunch of markings like:

re download
re rip
normalize
duplicate song
delete track
fix tag

This list of course would be parsed from config.ini
so you could have an unlimited number of user definable markings to cylce through.

#123855 - 04/11/2002 10:40 Re: "Marked" track suggestion [Re: dcosta]
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
" I propose that the "marked" feature loop through several tags.
so insted of the "Marked" button just toggling through "yes" and "no"
it would cycle through a bunch of markings like:

re download
re rip
normalize
duplicate song
delete track
fix tag

This list of course would be parsed from config.ini
so you could have an unlimited number of user definable markings to cylce through.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was talking about.